Monasteries & Nunneries
The surrounding area is dotted with colourful monasteries and nunneries. At Bamboo Retreat, we can inform you about actual prayer timings of the various monasteries and arrange for an expert guide who can explain the meaning of the mural paintings, instruments and objects inside the monasteries, etc.
You can join the monk or nuns during prayer-time and witness as they recite Tibetan mantras accompanied by mudras and the sounds of ritual instruments and drum beat.
- Ranka/Lingdum Monastery: 2 hrs by foot; 20 min. by car (one way)
- New & old Rumtek Monasteries: 1.5 hr by foot; 8 min. by car (one way)
- Rumtek Nunnery: 1 hr by foot; 7 min. by car (one way)
- Lepcha Monastery: 2 hrs by foot; 15 min. by car (one way)
- Enchey Monastery, Gangtok: 1 hr by car (one way)
- Deorali Monastery, Deorali: 35 min by car (one way)
- Phodong / Phensong / Labrang Monasteries: 2.5 hrs by car (one way)